Oct 25, 2006

Photographs and Memories




I received a text message from Jane last Monday telling me that she'll be leaving for Bicol at the end of this month. Prior to that, I received a text message from Vicky telling me that she has a problem (again) with Ferry. I find it surprising that such a budding romance would begin encountering problems that only old relationsips have. I agreed to meet up with them at SM Megamall (along with Pia and Yen) so that we could talk things over although I had planned to watch "The Departed" prior to receiving their messages.
Yen was the first to arrive at the meeting place. She had colds and kept on coughing while we waited for the others to arrive. She said she wanted to rest early but she can't miss the opportunity of seeing Jane again (kung mag-utol kami ni Pia, sila ni Jane e "sisters"). We chatted about various topics while we waited for the others. Then, she mentioned about Jane's imminent departure for Bicol. I told her that I already knew about it. She said, "alam mo, swerte ka na kay Jane kaya lang ganun talaga e". I simply smiled at her comment and didn't reply.
Jane arrived a little after 8PM. I must admit that she looked more radiant now and I told her so. She was wearing a pair of dangling earrings and Yen teased her about it. She didn't look like the person who figured in a car accident a couple of weeks ago. She sat beside me and she seemed uncomfortable coz I kept glancing at her. I teased her about her suitors and asked how her work was doing. Yen, ever discreet, just smiled at our playfulness and said "nao-OP na ako".
After a while, Vicky arrived along with Irish. We had dinner and I made "kantyaw" to Vicky about Ferry. She seemed not at all that affected although the text message she sent me earlier belied her true feelings. I didn't know how she fell inlove with Ferry at such a short time. But then I begin to understand that love has different effect (or should I say, cause) in various types of people. In Vicky's case, she fell inlove with Ferry at the time when she was groping for a life-saver...someone who would lift her up from the dark pit that she was into at the time. Or maybe she found Ferry at the right time and place. As for me...
After dinner, we went to a videoke house and Vicky began drinking (and smoking) herself to death. I told them I won't be drinking anything but as the night wore off, I drank my first bottle. The highlight of the night was when Jane sang "Farewell". She didn't even get to finish the chorus as she began to choke. She threw the mic to her cousin and wiped her tears. Vicky immediately hugged her (she was sitting between me and Vicky) while I handed her my handkerchief. We all knew she was having second-thoughts of going to Bicol for her PNP Training. As for me, I have always encouraged her to pursue it. She was sitting beside me but I didn't know how to comfort her. How would you comfort a person whom you had a previous realtionship without sending her the wrong signal? I hugged her later on and to cheer her up, I sang some songs that I knew she loved. The others teased us but we just smiled amidst all that. Jane is afterall a friend before we became intimate. I didn't know what to feel when I noticed that she still wore the silver ring I gave her (I'm still wearing the bracelet she gave me, anyway).
When Ferry arrived, we went for a joyride. I must have been too tired by then (it was afterall around 2 or 3 in the morning already), that I fell asleep at the passenger's seat with Jane's head resting on my shoulder. Pia said, she drove us out to Tagaytay but didn't wake us up anymore when she saw that we were all asleep.
We promised to meet again before Jane leaves for Bicol but I doubt if that will happen. The others would be busy by then. Jane asked if I would like to continue renting her room if she leaves. I haven't given her an answer yet.
To say that I won't miss her is absurd. Of course, I will. It's a different matter when she finally leaves for Bicol coz it would be a long time until I'd finally be able to see her again. I would definitely miss her cooking (she makes the most delicius ginataang hipon, ginataang alimango and ginataang alimasag). She taught me how to cook "sikad-sikad" and how to grill tuna belly. I would miss her appreciative nod whenever she taste my "sinigang na baboy" or the way she intercepts with my cooking (mahirap makipagtalo sa taong marunong magluto). Most of all, I would miss the way she would laugh abandonly whenever I crack a joke (no matter how silly). She will always be a special person in my life and I wish her well.
Here's to salute one of the most wonderful person I ever had the opportunity to meet.

No comments: